The Lighthouse Trail seeks to connect 11 lighthouses of Ferrolterra and Costa da Morte by means of 60 new kilometers of cycle paths
The Deputation of A Coruña has published a bid for an ambitious project to promote sustainable mobility in the province in the State Procurement Platform. In particular, the provincial institution allocates € 60,500 for the development of the Lighthouse Footpath project, which will connect with 11 rider lighthouses of Ferrolterra and Costa da Morte.
The president of the Provincial Council, Valentín González Formoso, pointed out that this is a strategic project included in the Master Plan for Cycling Mobility prepared by the provincial government with the aim of "promoting more sustainable and environmentally friendly mobility".
The purpose of the provincial government is that European funds finance 80% of the investment, while the Deputation would assume the remaining 20% with own funds. With the hiring of this project, the Provincial Council intends to promote the lighthouses of the regions of Ferrolterra and Costa da Morte and its cultural, heritage and landscape value. To that end, cycle paths with an approximate width of 2 meters will be created that connect the headlights with the closest populations, thus facilitating access.
The tracks will be built in 11 lighthouses (Estaca de Bares, Cabo Ortegal, Punta Frouxeira, Punta Nariga, Cabo de Cee, Lariño, Punta Queixal, Laxe, Cabo Vilán, Fisterra and Caco Touriñán), creating 59.6 kilometers of new cyclable itineraries. In total, the investment planned to execute this project is estimated at 5.1 million euros.
The Deputation considers that this project will have a great importance to promote tourism and diversify the economy of coastal towns in a province that has 26 lighthouses operating over 956 kilometers of coastline.